Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

"Improved" Disney Honeymoon Registry?

I just got an email from the Disney Honeymoon Registry letting me know that they had some "exciting news" about some "enhancements." Now, I know what you're thinking...why all the quotes? Well, in the year that I've been a future Disney bride and in the several years that I've been in tune with the Disney bride community, I've seen several "enhancements" come through.

The one that comes to mind first is the switch from Disney wedding websites to the Facebook app. From what I've gathered, the app is difficult to use, not easy to access, and most brides end up making their own websites and having their guests call to make reservations through their room block. There was also a switch from printed and mailed Save the Dates, to email Save the Dates. Save the Date etiquette is not as strict as the "rules" for invitations, but I'm partial to my guests receiving good, old-fashioned snail mail.

I am fearful that these enhancements, like the Facebook app, are just being positioned as such when really they are not useful or user-friendly. A big red flag - I'll have to re-create my Disney Honeymoon registry after December. Why not automatically carry over all current registries?

On the other hand, the Disney Honeymoon registry is notoriously buggy, with people often complaining that their registry does not show up when their guests search for it. Hopefully, these enhancements are being made to the back-end as well and will fix some of these issues.

Among the actual new features include:
  • Customizable wedding website, e-mail wizard, Facebook and Twitter 'upload tool' and photo albums to share with friends and family
  • Online "Thank you" tracker so none of your thank you notes are forgotten
  • Downloadable announcement cards, bridal shower games and more to help you spread the word about your Disney's Honeymoon Registry

I'm curious about the website (if it means I can send people to my registry without them having to search for it from the main page), and I'm not sure what they mean by email wizard. You won't see me promoting my registry on Facebook or Twitter. I have a thank you tracker on my current website, but I could see the value in that. I highly doubt I will use the other enhancements.

What I wish I was seeing were:
  • More gift options such as tours. We want to do 2 tours on our weddingmoon, but right now I just have them saved as Fantasy Funds. 
  • More restaurant options.
  • The option to generate a button to put on my wedding website that automatically links to my registry. As stated above, right now I found a picture to add to my registry page, but it will only take people to the main registry page, where they have to search for our list.
I will definitely be checking out the new registry in October once it is live and will report back on how I feel about the enhancements. 

Does anyone else use the Disney Honeymoon Registry?

1 comment:

  1. I tried it and decided to not use it early on. I ran into a few problems just registering and I couldn't get the complaints from forums out of my head. The real big push was after my old supervisor ran into problems on there. Her nephew registered for it, since WDW is where he is honeymooning. She was so frustrated that she pulled me from a patient to help her figure out how to work around the problems. She ran into monetary restrictions and just didn't understand how it worked in general. So, I figured I would just request Disney Gift Cards. I also mention to folks that depending on where they buy those gift cards (like at Kroger Grocery Stores), you can earn points and incentives. Nothing like getting free gas or coupons for buying me a gift :)

    ReplyDelete